Now that Halloween is over we can work off that candy and start preparing for the Thanksgiving feasts. It can get a little tricky in the fall and winter months when you are trying to stay active, mostly because of the weather and the food-centered holidays.
Fear not, there are many things that you can do to still stay active and healthy. Here we have a list ready for you.
1. Go on a Nature Hike. NWI is filled with beautiful parks and trails that want your attention. Taltree Arboretum is lovely any time of year, the beaches on Lake Michigan are great, the Indiana Dunes State Park is a hiker’s dream, and the list goes on.
2. Wear warm clothes. This is a no-brainer, but not everyone wants to wear bulky sweaters or puffy coats. If you don’t like to be cold but want to be outside, invest in some thermal wear. There are great options available that are lightweight and not bulky so you won’t feel like a marshmallow with limbs when you go out and about.
3. Pick some apples – there are apple orchards everywhere in our neck of the woods. The season is nearing its end, but there are still some apple varieties that you can get.
4. Take the kids on a nature scavenger hunt. Make a list of items that can be found outside (pinecones, leaves, rocks, deer, squirrels, etc.) and then go look for them. Use the items that you find (obviously not the deer or squirrels) for crafts later.
5. Throw around the football… or baseball, or basketball. Play a pick-up game with friends.
6. Run a 5k. There is one every weekend in NWI. Each is for a great cause, so can support a good thing while supporting yourself. 7. Go kayaking or canoeing. It’s great for cardio and you can experience the calmness of the water.
8. Rake leaves. It will make you work up a sweat, and you probably need to get them off of your grass anyway.
LaPorte, IN 46350
1 - 800 - 235 - 6204
Visit IU Health La Porte Hospital's Website